Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Death of the Dwarvern Deathdealer?

The Dweorgas  class option for skirmishers is the Deathdealer. Initially I wanted to avoid the cliched crossbow as the dwarf missile option so I came up with the Stonepelter a kind of one-man portable siege weapon that lobs either small stone cannon balls or clay urns full of dragon fire. But I kinda think it's all very cumbersome and quite boring and the Deathdealer is my least favourite of the 12 classes. 

So, I'm toying with the idea of replacing it with either a dwarf with an auto-crossbow like the Chinese Chu-ko-nu (and maybe some dragon fire grenades) or basically a forge bellows flamethrower contraption (although that might be a bit too steampunkish and out of place for Redwald). The other option is perhaps an axe throwing maniac (make a change from all the ones that prefer wielding) as the dwarf skirmisher.

What say you?

14 comments:

  1. I think dwarves with automatic crossbows are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked Ranulf's from Hawk the Slayer.

      Delete
  2. Random thoughts: 1) I like the fire grenades as they tie-in to the dragon/dwarf relationship, 2) I like that the deathdealer used something besides Dex for attacks, 3)maybe something stealthy, since dwarves are small and live in darkness? Assassins who use fire and armor-piercing blades maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I liked the idea of them using smarts to work out trajectories. I will keep the fire grenades. Stealthy might work, but assassins don't really fit as there's no real politics going in the dwarf realms.

      Delete
  3. Danny Trejo from Desperado dwarves with throwing knives!
    http://www.racialicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Danny-Trejo-Desperado.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Trejo is very cool, throwing knives would be different for dwarfs, but in tunnel can't see an advantage over an auto-crossbow. Still, could be cool.

      Delete
  4. How about a Dwarf-portable version of this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very cool, but a bit too many cogs and gears for a Redwald vibe.

      Delete
  5. If I were a short slow race that lived underground I'd use net launchers as my missile weapons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In tunnels netting the first fore in line would cause problems for the enemy, but in the end you still need to kill or drive off the invaders.

      Delete
  6. I want throwing axes AND dragon-fire grenades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm leaning towards that or auto-crossbow and dragon-fire grenades.

      Delete
  7. Of course I could make the Dwarf skirmisher the ultimate flexible killer. After all their fighters are completely one note: Set up a Shieldwall with a mountain on either flank and stab anything that steps up. I could completly trick out their skirmishers with nets, auto-crossbow, throwing axes, and dragon-fire grenades.

    ReplyDelete